News:

The current V8RRS points standings are posted.

Race Report

Started by Butch Kummer, September 14, 2017, 07:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Kummer

There are six V8RRS by WCIParts.com members of the 999 drivers currently registered for the 2017 SCCA Runoffs at Indy:

. Paige Monette Alexander - GT1 (SPO)
. Bob Monette - GT1 (SPO)
. Zach Monette - GT1
. Bobby Reuse - GT2 (GTA)
. Roger Reuse - GT2 (GTA)
. Chris Durbin - T1

If you can't attend in person (it should be QUITE the show!) you can follow the action at www.SCCA.com. There will be qualifying Mon-Thu, then races (with live video) on Fri-Sun. I also expect the two Last Chance Qualifiers on Thursday afternoon (which determine the final grid spots for SM and SRF3) will be broadcast as well, and those should be a slugfest as 50+ cars vie for the final twelve positions in each class.

Races for our members:
. Fri, 8:30 AM - T1
. Fri, 3:40 PM - GT2
. Sun, 9:35 AM - GT1

Good luck all...
Butch Kummer
V8RRS Director of Competition, 2016-2021
Associate Pastor, First Church of GTA

Butch Kummer

I'm heading up first thing tomorrow (Thu) morning and probably won't post this evening, but here's where you can find results for all 28 classes at the 2017 Runoffs: https://www.scca.com/pages/2017-runoffs-results

And here's how things stand for our six V8RRS members after two days of qualifying:

GT1(/SPO)
1st GT1 (4th OA) - Zach Monette, Optech Mustang, 1.39.441
1st SPO (10th OA) - Paige Monette Alexander, Optech Corvette, 1.45.552
2nd SPO (13th OA) - Bob Monette, Optech Lamborghini Huracan, 1.48.654

GT2(/GTA)
1st GTA (16th OA) - Roger Reuse, WCIParts.com Camaro, 1.47.068
2nd GTA (13th OA) - Bobby Reuse, WCIParts.com Camaro, 1.49.847

T1
1st T1 (9th OA) - Chris Durbin, Hawk Performance Mustang, 1.46.724

There have been fifty cars in the GT1/GT3/T1 group and and average of sixty in the GT2/AS group, so getting a clean lap in qualifying has been a challenge. Mark talked to Chris yesterday and he never got a clean lap, so I imagine it was pretty much the same for everyone. The weather's supposed to be cooler the next two days and people SHOULD be calming down as they get more experience on the track (I heard half the drivers did not do any of the test days), so hopefully our heroes will move up in their respective fields before race day. Speaking of race day:

. T1 - 8:30 Friday
. GT2 - 3:40 Friday
. GT1 - 9:35 Sunday

And yes, Andrew Acquilante is dominating in both T1 and GT2 so far - excellent driver, well-prepared Phoenix Performance cars, and according to live broadcasts has been very good at finding/creating a gap for a flyer during every session.

Finally, for those of you who want to follow along at home here's the link to the Runoffs homepage (that has links to the live broadcast):

https://www.scca.com/events/1980940-2017-scca-runoffs
Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

On Day Three of Qualifying, in GT1 Zach was slightly slower while Paige and Bob went faster but all moved back in the overall because a couple of guys showed up that hadn't run well earlier in the week. Standings right now:

GT1(/SPO)
. 1st GT1 (6th OA) - Zach Monette, Optech Mustang, 1.39.441 (from Tues)
. 1st SPO (11th OA) - Paige Monette Alexander, Optech Corvette, 1.42.962 (2.5 seconds better than Tue)
. 2nd SPO (15th OA) - Bob Monette, Optech Lamborghini Huracan, 1.47.959 (.7 seconds better than Tue)

In T1, Chris picked up almost a second and moved up to fifth overall (from ninth):

T1
1st T1 (5th OA) - Chris Durbin, Hawk Performance Mustang, 1.45.820

I don't know where they stand overall in the GT2 field, but Roger was slightly slower while Bobby picked up just over 3 (three!) seconds, is much closer to the leaders in top speed (151.466, almost 7 mph faster than Roger's best trap speed), and has moved ahead just ahead of his brother in the field:

GT2(/GTA)
1st GTA (??th OA) - Bobby Reuse, WCIParts.com Camaro, 1.46.746
2nd GTA (?? + at least 1 OA) - Roger Reuse, WCIParts.com Camaro, 1.47.068 (from Tue)

I don't know about the GT1/GT3/T1 session, but I listened to the GT2/AS session live and they said they're going split that group giving each class a 10-minute session tomorrow, which should minimize the concerns about getting a clean lap.

The next report will be coming live from Indy (no doubt after MANY beers) tomorrow afternoon/evening...  :P
Butch Kummer

flyinwrenchz

Great report as always Butch.  I spoke with Chris again today. He was still disappointed about getting a clean lap. He had mentioned they bumped the tire pressures so he only got one lap before they started to fall off. He was watching video and said he definitely felt there was more time in the car. Gonna let it all hang out tomorrow and see where he ends up. Good luck to all involved!
Keep the shiny side up!

millstreet

04 GT2

Butch Kummer

Didn't post last night due to fatigue. Harriett got in around noon yesterday and we were both beat - me after a day in the wind and heat at the track and her after a full afternoon of hitting the local consignment shops!  :)

T1

Chris gridded 10th, then moved up to sixth pretty quickly. Not sure how he got to fifth, but he passed Tim Myers for fourth when Tim exceeded traction limits in coming back off the short chute (between pval turns 1 & 2) into the infield. Talked to Chris afterward and he knew he had nothing for Acquilante (no one did!) but thought he might have done better had he not started so far back. Bottom line was a best race lap of 1:45.967 and a fourth place finish at the SCCA National Championships!

GT2

Andy - 9.12 is the Supps requirement that all classes use the track fuel at the Runoffs and it ends up a number of people have failed random fuel tests during qualifying.

Bobby Reuse finally figured things out a bit during Thursday's qualifying and started 23rd with a best lap of 1:46.530 while Roger was right behind him in 25th with a 1:47.068. Bobby did comment they'd been racing nose-to-tail all year so why should this one be different?

During the race Bobby worked his way up to 16th but then spun re-entering the infield (LOTS of folks had that issue) and dropped back to 20th at the end, right ahead of Roger. After the race we accused him of slowing up so they could get a picture of themselves crossing the Yard of Bricks side-by-side, and he said, "Yeah, THAT's what I meant to do!"  :)

Bottom line on V8RRS racers in the GT2 race:
. 1st GTA (20th OA) - bobby Reuse, WCIParts.com Camaro, 1.47.835
. 2nd GTA (21st OA) - Roger Reuse, WCIParts.com Camaro, 1.48.127

GT1 rolls off at 9:35 tomorrow (Sunday) with the Monette Racing Group lined up thusly:
. 1st GT1 (6th OA) - Zach Monette, Optech Mustang, 1.39.441 (from Tues)
. 1st SPO (12th OA) - Paige Monette Alexander, Optech Corvette, 1.42.962 (from Wed)
. 2nd SPO (15th OA) - Bob Monette, Optech Lamborghini Huracan, 1.47.959 (also from Wed)

See ya...
Butch Kummer

millstreet

"Andy - 9.12 is the Supps requirement that all classes use the track fuel at the Runoffs and it ends up a number of people have failed random fuel tests during qualifying."

interesting, how do they fingerprint track fuel vs/ non track fuel?

and nice that they did that in qualifying rather than post race.

Andy
04 GT2

millstreet

04 GT2

Butch Kummer

Quote from: millstreet on October 02, 2017, 10:02:06 AMinteresting, how do they fingerprint track fuel vs/ non track fuel?

and nice that they did that in qualifying rather than post race.

Andy

Not sure the specifics, but fuel testing has been a part of the Runoffs procedures for a number of years and I believe they put a unique tracer in the fuel that will be used for that event. In the past (Topeka and Road America for sure) I know some folks have used track fuel while testing a couple of months prior to the Runoffs and have been bounced for non-compliant fuel because they did not completely drain their cells prior to filling them with that year's "Runoffs" fuel. Same gas, but it didn't have the proper tracer.

Besides testing the top six finishers in each class they also pull samples randomly during qualifying. At Daytona in 2015 I got selected after Q2 even though I was in like 20th place and there was ZERO chance I'd finish on the podium (and yes, I passed  ::) ).
Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

GT1 Results from Sunday:

Zach ran as high as fourth after two of the cars in front of him got together in Turn 1 on lap 1, but they quickly recovered and got back by him. After the race there was a small tire mark on the driver's door of Zach's Optech Mustang but otherwise he had a clean race. He did say he had a chance to pass for position halfway through the race but decided discretion is the better part of valor.

Paige (Optech Corvette) was steady the entire race and even with her tires going off was closing quickly on Don Noe for tenth overall over the last couple of laps. At the checkers she was less than a car length (0.061 seconds) short but overall was pleased with her performance.

Bob (Optech Lamborghini) said he is really more comfortable with the car that's the twin of Zach's, but they didn't have enough time to complete the changeover from Jaguar to Mustang bodywork so he opted to drive the Lambo even though going fast in it requires a completely different driving style. About halfway through the race he also hit a tremendous ball of OPR that broke the LF fender, so it was flapping in the breeze going down both straights causing concern about whether or not it was going to come off.

Final V8 results:
. 1st GT1 (7th OA) - Zach Monette, Optech Mustang, 1.38.803
. 1st SPO (11th OA) - Paige Monette Alexander, Optech Corvette, 1.42.844
. 2nd SPO (13th OA) - Bob Monette, Optech Lamborghini Huracan, 1.48.384
Butch Kummer

stick947

About this time last week, was heading down pit lane of one of the most storied race tracks on the planet to start my first runoffs.  My thoughts were about getting heat in the brakes and tires as it was cool that morning and the sun hadn't kissed all of the surface yet.  Hadn't really found the outright speed in qualifying so from tenth on the grid I had work to do.  Hoping for a good start but afraid there'd be mayhem in turn 1.  Green flag and we're off.  Turn 1 is clean, T2 sees Henderson touch the door of Buttermore and turned him.  We check up a bit and that lets the top three of Andrew, Ross and Mark gap us a bit.  Clean through the rest of sector 2, tires are coming up to temp.  I get a nice run onto the front clearing Gaudette and I'm in the trunk of Nugate who's in the trunk of Henderson.  I can tell I'm quicker in the twisties but I need them to bobble couple laps in Nugate over shoots coming onto the front and has to breathe and I get alongside and clear him into T1, now for Henderson who was mirror driving.  About lap 5 he tries to get into the fuel too soon in 6A and I get a nice run down the inside of him for T7.   Now I'm hunting for the next guy who was Myers.  At the time I got clear of Henderson there was a gap of 8-9 seconds roughly and over the next 10 laps or so I keep digging and finally arrived within a couple car lengths of him and like Henderson he started to mirror drive and I grinned.  With 2 to go he went about 100 ft deeper into T1 than any previous lap and looped it which put me in fourth.  I was looking for Boden but with 2 to go he'd have had to have an issue or really step in it for me to catch him.  I'm ok with how it all went down.  Of course theres the coulda shoulda woulda that your brain does to you.  If only I'd qualified better, or this or that.  At the end of the day, I got to punch my ticket on the same track that some of my childhood heroes raced on and that ain't bad at all.  Not bad at all.

millstreet

So the mirror driving worked out well, for you anyhow  8)

did you get the impression there were too many cars there?
i.e. trouble getting a clean lap in qualifying? or??

Andy
04 GT2

stick947

Qual sessions had us on with GT1 and GT3.  Hard to get a clean lap based on the variances in speed

millstreet

Quote from: stick947 on October 07, 2017, 10:23:28 AM
Qual sessions had us on with GT1 and GT3.  Hard to get a clean lap based on the variances in speed

so, maybe make qualifying for the Runoffs more performance based, rather than attendance based?
result being fewer cars, more manageable groups?

Andy
04 GT2