News:

The current V8RRS points standings are posted.

Who's Gonna Be There?

Started by Butch Kummer, April 15, 2016, 03:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Kummer

Signed up as of 5/23:
. Mark Mercurio, GT1
. Chris Gill, GTA (GT2)
. Randy Walker, GTA (GT2)
. Tyler Wilson, GTA (GT2)
. Bobby Reuse, GTA (GT2)
. Roger Reuse, GTA (GT2)
. Paige Monette Alexander, SPO (GT1)
. Bob Monette, SPO (GT1)
. Zach Monette. GT1

I'll keep the list updated for those who want to see who else will be there before deciding one way or the other...  :)
Butch Kummer
V8RRS Director of Competition, 2016-2021
Associate Pastor, First Church of GTA

flyinwrenchz

Chris I thought you were going to Mid-Ohio?
Keep the shiny side up!

Tyler Wilson

Chris, come to Mid Ohio.
Let's get this done.
41 GTA

cfgill

Holy I send one night at the bar and not on my PC and you guys miss me  :)
I'm going I'll sign up this weekend
Chris Gill

Bobaru8888

Roger and I will be there but......................

What are we doing about this absolutely stupid windshield deal with GTA? It is causing a problem Nationwide.
To get CUSTOM made 3/16 windshields for these two cars will cost $1,100.00 from AR Bodies. Plus when we put them in they are going to stick up out of the windshield channel as these cars(no late model) is designed to hold a 3/16 windshield.

Someone needs to get with SCCA and let them know THEY are wrong. I am happy to do it but do not know where to start.

Engineers do this kind of stuff all the time, asking for what they perceive they want even though they know it does not exist and they have never seen it before. They just dreamed it up.

Butch Kummer

Bobby (and others that have been bitten by this),

This appears to only be an issue at Central Florida events, but I'll contact the GT Rep on the CRB (Tony Ave) to find out what our options are.
Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

Howe makes nothing but 3/16" for their TA-2 bodies, no doubt because that's what the rules call for. Five Star makes all three - 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4. Five Star also said Cup cars are 1/4" and laminated. I didn't check with AR.

I put a 1/4" one in the last time I replaced mine (ASA car) because the one that originally came in the car flexed at Road Atlanta even with bracing.

I talked to Tony and he said the CRB had a fit when he suggested they allow 1/8" windshields, apparently out of concerns about safety (things flying into the car). I guess they're thinking a 1/8" shield is more dangerous that NO windshield or a low windscreen?  ???

I'm going to submit a letter to the CRB requesting we be allowed 1/8" windshields in GT cars as long as they have braces (and reference the safety issues of no windshield). Tony's not sure the answer will be any different this time than last, but it's worth a try.

My letter #19575:

Request change to 9.1.2.G.III.J to allow 1/8" windshields as long as the inner braces are in place. These windshields are the most common for the bodies allowed in GTA and there have been no issues when using them by other sanctioning bodies. I understand the concern for safety, but if that the issue then why does SCCA allow open cars or those with a low windscreen to compete?

Proposed rule 9.1.2.G.III.J (changes 3/16" to 1/8" and "should" to "MUST"):

A full, stock-dimension molded front windshield is mandatory and must be constructed from 1/8" (minimum) Lexan. Three (3) 1-inch by 1/8" thickness internal windshield support braces MUST be spaced at least on six-inch centers and roughly centered on the windshield. The windshield must be secured to the body by bolts and/or rivets to prevent the windshield from popping out under internal pressure such as a spin.
Butch Kummer

vern smith

We might want to include Dzus fasteners to the "secured to" language.
The difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, there is no difference but in practice there is.

cfgill

I have to second Vern's request if the Dzus is done right it will do the same job as the fasteners we are using now.
Chris Gill

Butch Kummer

Nine V8RRS drivers signed up as of 5/23 (out of 490 overall!) - should be some good racing that weekend...
Butch Kummer

Bobaru8888

Has anything been resolved on the windshield deal?

I can bring the two sheets of 3/16 Lexan we bought if need be, but I hate to be cutting out windshields at the track.

millstreet

Quote from: Bobaru8888 on May 31, 2016, 10:59:55 AM

Has anything been resolved on the windshield deal?

I can bring the two sheets of 3/16 Lexan we bought if need be, but I hate to be cutting out windshields at the track.

I think you'll be fine, although I've never been to Mid Ohio, I've raced at most all of the Northeast tracks with SCCA, never had anyone look at the windshield.

Andy
04 GT2

Butch Kummer

I know at Daytona the CFR tech people put an entry in Vern's log book, so I imagine they did the same with the Reuse brothers. The CRB has not yet ruled on my request (and won't before this weekend) so yesterday I sent a note to Bobby & Roger suggesting they work with V8RRS Series staff to get their tech stickers for Mid-Ohio.

I'll post when I hear back from the CRB.
Butch Kummer

vern smith

Lord knows I've had my problems with unreasonable and technically incompetent officials but the CFR is intimately familiar with the conditions at Daytona and to be honest, a .125 lexan windshield at that track is problematic. I imagine asking for a track specific rule would be a stretch?
The difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, there is no difference but in practice there is.

Butch Kummer

Quote from: vern smith on June 01, 2016, 09:02:04 AM
Lord knows I've had my problems with unreasonable and technically incompetent officials but the CFR is intimately familiar with the conditions at Daytona and to be honest, a .125 lexan windshield at that track is problematic. I imagine asking for a track specific rule would be a stretch?

In my discussions with Tony Ave (the GT rep on the CRB) he felt they would most likely turn down the request ("the rule is adequate as written") but perhaps making the support brace specs required would make a difference. He supports it but is only one vote on the CRB/BoD.

The GTA allowance for 3/16" windshields is already thinner than the GCR standard of 6 mm (rule 9.3.55), so that also works against the 1/8" request. The opposite side of that argument (which Tony will explain) is some cars are currently allowed to race with no windshield at all, so who knows HOW this will turn out.

And yes, I'd say asking for a track-specific rule would be a serious stretch...

edit to change 3/8 to 3/16
Butch Kummer