News:

The current V8RRS points standings are posted.

General Info for Indy

Started by Butch Kummer, November 29, 2016, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Kummer

This event is the SCCA Runoffs conducted by the SCCA to determine their National Champions in each of 28 Majors classes. The event is open only to those who meet minimum participation requirements established by SCCA, so if you're thinking about running this event you need to make yourself aware of those restrictions. Spending a week at Indy might not be for everyone, but a number of our V8 racers plan to attend ("It's INDY and it might be my only chance to race there!!!") so we've added it to our 2017 schedule.

As with SCCA Majors events, this means our GTA, GTSC, ITO, and SPO cars will need to enter in GT1 or GT2 for SCCA purposes, and we'll keep V8RRS by WCIParts.com points separately.
Butch Kummer
V8RRS Director of Competition, 2016-2021
Associate Pastor, First Church of GTA

Butch Kummer

Don't know when this was posted on SCCA.com, but it answers a lot of questions people have:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/020/240/17-runoffs-eventinfo-FINAL.pdf?1489442295

I am still planning to run a V8RRS schedule that also earns me a Runoffs invitation and then decide in July or August whether or not I will attend. This pricing leans the scales closer to the "Yes" side than they were.
Butch Kummer

Bobaru8888

Hey Everyone. I thought I would post here and let all the V8 folks know what AIR Company is up to. Sorry we have not raced with you guys so far this year. No one came to COTA, LOL. It has been a Crazy Busy Bucket List kind of year and Indy is the last stop on that list. From Alaska to COTA to Bristol and all the home tracks it has been a ride. Below are the races that we plan on attending the rest of this year to qualify for both Indy as well as Virginia. Hope to see everyone at Charlotte. We need some strong sound advice from anyone who has attended the Run-offs as this will be our first time. I have heard tech is much like NASCAR. What about the windshield deal? Is there a Camber rule? We think we pretty much have most everything covered but at Watkins Glen a competitor asked us, "What makes this a GT2 car?"  We simply had to reply that we did not know. It is what we were told to do. I hate that answer so while we are researching that on our end for future use, if anyone has any info that would help us, please let us know here or in Charlotte or Barbers. thanks everyone, See ya at the track.

Bobby Reuse

July 29th              Montgomery Round Track Event
August 11-12th     Charlotte "The Roval"
August 27-29th     Barbers  "The Last Stand"
Sept 9th               Montgomery Round Track Event
Sept 25-29th        Indy      "The Great and Wonderful Indy"      From what we can tell it looks like we have to be there everyday.
October 14th        VIR   Redemption Weekend    Hey Clemson did it, why can't I?
November 30th     Five Flags  Snowball Derby Weekend.

Butch Kummer

Bobby,

Your cars are compliant under the 2013 TA2 rules (Appendix L in the GCR). Back in late 2012 the CRB classified existing TA2 cars in GT2 to help bolster the GT2 numbers, and some forward-thinking member of the SCCA National Staff realized the SCCAPro rules were highly fluid (they had already announced their intention to phase out the stock car bodies and many of the engine options allowed in GTA) so s/he "suggested" they grandfather any cars built to the 2013 TA2 rules (which includes 99% of the GTA cars in the country) into the class. Pretty smart, huh?  :P

Tech at the Runoffs is tighter than your typical Majors weekend, but unless you finish on the podium you should not expect to take your car(s) home in a box. Before the race they will impound cars at random (I got checked the second day of qualifying at Daytona and I wasn't even in the top ten) but those inspections are non-invasive (fuel test, spoiler dimensions, track width, minimum weight, etc.). I just looked and there are no camber rules, but they DO require at least a 3/16" windshield. If that is one of the items on their checklist then you will be found non-compliant and not allowed to run until it's corrected. As Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky?"

It's in another section, but there are no tire rules for TA2 cars running in GT2 (they obviously still need to fit the 15 x 10 rim, though). Some of the guys run the Hoosier HSC radials (and I did at Daytona), but I'm not sure the performance gain is worth the time and money.

Hope to see you at Charlotte and Barber - Indy is still very tentative for me...
Butch Kummer