News:

The current V8RRS points standings are posted.

Weekend report

Started by millstreet, August 01, 2016, 08:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millstreet

rumor has it, Tyler had a good run going, until............ :o

Andy
04 GT2

Tyler Wilson

It's true Andy. Everything you heard is true.....
I had a sizable lead on Trent Hindman and his #70 BMW GT2 with 3 laps to go. I noticed the car was starting to bog down a little through turn 3, and it got worse. I limped it along for 2 laps, and took the white flag on the final lap of the race. By then Hindman had passed me on the front strait, and the car shut off between turns 3 and 5. I pitted out at 5, watched 2 more GT2 cars pass me on the way out.  ???
Hindman finished 9th overall and 4th in GT2, which was my spot!! But, you've got to finish the race to win!!
Beautiful track and facilities, will go back next year. Make sure your fuel cells are full when you go out for a 35 minute race where you hit 150+ in 3 places on the track. 4.04 miles of pure bliss.
41 GTA

Butch Kummer

You guys missed a great weekend of racing. Even though Tyler was the only V8RRS car attending, Flying Wrenches Racing (Mark & Amy) and I were there to support the series and help spread the gospel. The weather was excellent, that part of the country is gorgeously green this time of year, the Milwaukee Region is always great to work with, and Road America is a first-class facility. We also ended up paddocked next to Paul Musschoot, owner of Blackhawk Farms Raceway, so we may look at adding an event there in 2017 as well.

Things were slightly delayed on Sunday and I had a flight to catch back to Atlanta, so I ended up leaving before the end of the Big Bore race. I did look at the final results on Race Monitor from the airport so I texted Mark to find out Tyler had suffered the "fuel delivery issue" described above!  :) Regardless, he picks up two more GTA wins in our 2016 points race.

Trying to attach a couple of photos - 1 from the pace lap at Canada Corner on Saturday and then a shot showing our hero leading the BMW out of Turn 5 on Sunday. In the Sunday shot you can see the clear skies (if not the 80-degree temps) that we had all weekend.
Butch Kummer
V8RRS Director of Competition, 2016-2021
Associate Pastor, First Church of GTA

millstreet

Tyler sent me proof that he DID actually buy fuel, perhaps he should have filled the 5 gallon can  :))

Andy
04 GT2

Tyler Wilson

There it is! Rookie mistake.
I'm use to running Mid Ohio, Summit Point, Pitt ect., where I'm using 4 gallons each session. Of course, Road America is 2x longer than these tracks.......
Andy, can any blame lay with Butch? He's been racing for 40+ years and was there with me helping, shouldn't he have known better?  :))  :))
41 GTA

Butch Kummer

Hell, I figured my job was done when I convinced you to change rear gears after switching to the shorter tires. I didn't think I needed to remind you they need gas to run!!!

And how did that 3.35 gear work out? Would you have been buzzing the rev limiter if you'd stayed with the 3.40?
Butch Kummer
V8RRS Director of Competition, 2016-2021
Associate Pastor, First Church of GTA

Tyler Wilson

The 3.35 would have been perfect if I was getting off the corner like I planned. I wasn't getting enough exit speed, and never got much over 6200 on the straits. My brakes felt a little squishy about 4 laps in and I was pumping them, so I didn't get into the 2:33's like I planned. Looks like everyone else was slower in the race than in qualifying (I was just trying different lines on old tires in the Sunday am qualifier so my times were slow) so I don't feel too bad about it. Next time I'll put in a 3.40 with the tall tires.
41 GTA

cfgill

Tyler,

I'm not sure Andy or I can give you crap about running out of gas :)

Oh by the way thank for the pic of your car, it will be hanging in the motor home next race.
Chris Gill

Tyler Wilson

Quote from: cfgill on August 01, 2016, 06:50:15 PM
Tyler,

I'm not sure Andy or I can give you crap about running out of gas :)

Oh by the way thank for the pic of your car, it will be hanging in the motor home next race.

Well I guess I'm in the club now.

Your welcome, thought it was cool that you had some V8'ers pics on your wall.
41 GTA

millstreet

04 GT2

anyonebutme

Yea, turn 3 is the turn that I fuel starve first in also, all my cars have a right side pickup and turn 3 has some positive G to help with grip so I starve there instead of the carousel.  My ASA car doesn't have a fuel gauge of any sort so I end up topping it off every session, I've never actually tracked it's fuel consumption.  It's also really heavy on brakes as well as fuel from the long straights.  Heavy braking zones mixed with long straights between them means a lot of heat cycling the rotors and getting enough cooling without overcooling is hard.  Cracking (and then breaking) rotors is a thing here.  I don't have the budget to replace rotors every year so I don't use all of my braking power, lol.
Chris P.
"no turbo, no care"

Tyler Wilson

I hope this stays on the schedule for 2017. You've got to be there to see how spectacular it is.
41 GTA